Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Betcha By Golly...WOW!!!

I shocked myself today.  First I got up and had to go to one of the Public Schools in NY to assist with the administration of the H1N1 Vaccine.  This was my second "SWAT team" assignment and I am part of a "clean-up" crew that completes the task not finished by the regular vaccination team.  I get to my site kind of dreading it because my team leader is a major pain in the ass.  From the inception of the assignment on Friday he is complaining about working out of title and midway through the day it becomes crystal clear to myself and everyone else in the room what his supervisors were thinking by sending him on this assignment - relief! 


I am so inundated with this vaccination that I haven't been blogging, I haven't been writing affirmations...I haven't been eating well.  It hasn't been the worst, but it could be in keeping with what I'd been doing the last 2 weeks (I'd really like to maintain the 10 pounds lost while advancing toward an additional 10 pounds).  I get to the school today and wouldn't you know the "Team Leader" called in sick.  I swiftly realize that I am the ONLY administrative staff there for the remaining vaccination we have to administer.  After an hour or so into this discovery, it is also clear that no "new" team leader is coming.  I feel like one of those men in the old west when a town crisis arises that requires more law enforcement.  I am immediately deputized and made the team leader.  Sigh...does this crap come with more money? 

Ever the perfectionist, I examine the folders that were "completed" on Friday.  I found no less than 36 errors.  I took my time and corrected each form and split them into their respective piles.

I think to myself 'oh glory!  I get to go to work tomorrow!'  Right.  I get an ominus call from the powers that be and I am on my way to another school to innoculate...sigh.

On the up, I went to the gym.  Frustrated with my lack of exercise, I went to them gym yesterday at 10pm.  I decide to do the tradmill for 1hour.

At the close of the hour, my numbers look like this:

600 calories burned
4.1 speed
5.0 incline
60 minutes

I put my headset on and let the music take me away.  All of the things I was fearful of, all the things that hurt, all the things that I don't understand.  The tears have stopped falling from my eyes and are now falling from my brow, from my all my pores and down the center of my back.  I had made a goal and reached it.  Isn't it all about the little victories?  If you have enough of them, then the war is really won...isn't it?


TODAY'S RECIPE
Mashed Turnips






Nutrition Facts
Makes 4servings, Serving Size: 0 cup, Amount Per Serving, Calories 133.7, Total Carbs 16.4 g, Dietary Fiber 3.5 g, Sugars 11.2 g, Total Fat 7.1 g, Saturated Fat 1.7 g, Unsaturated Fat 5.3 g, Potassium 235 mg
Protein 2.8 g, Sodium 778.7 mg



Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/4 Fat, 2 Vegetable


Secret ingredients make these turnips taste like mashed potatoes.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Difficulty: EASY

Servings Ingredients

6cup fresh cubed turnips, peeled (about 4 large ones)

1tsp salt
1tbsp sugar
2tbsp Margarine & Butter, blend, with soybean oil, softened
1/4cup Milk, evaporated, with add vitamin A, canned, room temperature
1pinch salt and pepper (to taste)
Directions

1 Choose turnips the size of your fist or smaller. Cut off the tops in a thin layer. Peel the turnips with a vegetable peeler. Don't bother cutting off the root end, instead peel it clean with the vegetable peeler. Cut the turnips into medium sized chunks. Measure up 6 full cups of them. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot on the stove. Add the salt and sugar.

2 When the water boils, add the turnips. Boil for about 20 minutes, or until the turnips are tender. Drain well.

3 Add the margarine and evaporated milk. Using electric beaters mash the turnips until they are smooth.

4 Taste and add salt and plenty of pepper. Reheat and serve hot.

5 Additional Information

You can divide the mixture up between small baking dishes and treat them like twice baked potatoes. Add bacon bits, sour cream, shredded cheese, steamed broccoli, a big scoop of chili, or tomato sauce and parmesan cheese. Microwave or bake until heated through. The secret to getting turnips to take on the mild taste of potatoes is to boil them in water that has been both salted and sweetened. Without the salt and sweetener turnips have a stronger flavor that some people find objectionable. If you've never had turnips treated this way then you are in for a real treat.

Give it a try!!!
YOU MIGHT LIKE IT!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment