Friday, October 16, 2009

An Abnormal Entity...






I swear this journey has been the HARDEST thing I ever had to put up with. Ever since I became a mom, I have had a weight problem. I have been various weights between 437 and 229 pounds. Sometimes it was due to eating, other reasons were medical.




My weight has been consistent in goal to consume me. At times it seemed to take on a life of its own. I remember being 437 pounds, living in one of the most beautiful and exclusive neighborhoods in Brooklyn and not being able to move. My son lived with my mother at the time; I felt like I couldn't be a good mother to him. I'd make the journey to Queens Village from Park Slope on Friday evenings. The 2 train to the LIRR to Queens Village and a cab to mom's. At 437, that round trip was straight torture. It would take me the ENTIRE weekend to recuperate. It did not help that Park Slope was filled to the absolute brim with my favorite restaurants and they ALL delivered. My son spent a large portion of his weekends being babysat by the 65 inch television in our sublet apartment as I slept and prepared for the journey back to my mothers house come Sunday. I was miserable.




It was the same summer my grandma died. Save for my son, she was the person I loved more than anything and weight had kept me from her. I shut down shop and moved back to my mother's house.




After moving back to my mom's, it became apparent that I could not continue like this. I had heard about a procedure that was just gaining notoriety called gastric bypass. Anyone who knows me knows that once I become focus, there is NO stopping me. I saw a doctor in Brooklyn who told me I'd need to pass a counseling session visit and a dietitian visit. Being the hustler that I am I finagled both appointments and had both practitioners give me a note clearing me for surgery (one I even wrote the note for and just had her sign). I was scheduled for surgery with 3 weeks of my first visit.




On November 2nd, 2004 I had the life-changing surgery. By my birthday of the next year, I was full-figured modeling, turning heads on any street I walked on. I never knew the weight was more than the eating. PCOS (Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) attacks the body with imbalance. Your testosterone spikes and causes you to have side effects like facial hair growth, infertility and weight gain. Before I knew it, by September of 2005 I was back up 80 pounds. I was at 308 pounds when I decided I had to fight to get my health back.
So here I am at 279 pounds. I see a weight loss doctor since April 17th, 2009. I am down 29 pounds. I decided to blog the weight loss so you can journey WITH me, not AFTER me. I am not holding anything back. You will see my success and my failures. We are gonna work together and exorcise the demon of weight.
I also started the cookie diet, (http://www.cookiedietonline.com/). I will keep you posted. As of today's date, I am 279 pounds, 5'7 feet tall. Lets do this together. I will post recipes and the like...lets share and evict this tenant that's taken residence in our frames. All in the apartment and don't pay rent.
Love Ya,
Renee Michele






TODAY'S RECIPE
Grilled Marinated Shrimp


Prep Time: 30 Minutes

Cook Time: 10 Minutes Ready In: 2 Hours 40 Minutes

Servings: 2

"This makes the best shrimp! Remove from skewers and serve on a bed of pasta with sauce for a great meal."

Ingredients:

1/3 cup olive oil

1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon chopped fresh

parsley

1/3 lemon, juiced

2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce

1 clove garlic, minced

1 teaspoon tomato paste 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

11 ounces large shrimp, peeled and deveined

with tails attached

skewers



Directions:

You have scaled this recipe's ingredients to yield a new amount (2). The directions below still refer to the original recipe yield (6).

1. In a mixing bowl, mix together olive oil, parsley, lemon juice, hot sauce, garlic, tomato paste, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Reserve a small amount for basting later. Pour remaining marinade into a large resealable plastic bag with shrimp. Seal, and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.

2. Preheat grill for medium-low heat. Thread shrimp onto skewers, piercing once near the tail and once near the head. Discard marinade.

3. Lightly oil grill grate. Cook shrimp for 5 minutes per side, or until opaque, basting frequently with reserved marinade.










No comments:

Post a Comment